Discover the Top 10 Fleet Maintenance Hacks for Municipal Fleet Managers

Keeping your government fleet on the roadways is a tough task. You may be understaffed, have a limited budget for vehicle replacements and off-site repairs, and have a full fleet to service.

 

Fortunately, there are some tips you can use to make your municipal fleet shop more efficient and reduce the number of unplanned repairs on your vehicles.

 

Schedule Regular Preventive Maintenance

One of the best ways to alleviate some pressure off your shop is by running an organized PM program. This will help reduce unplanned breakdowns and allows for more scheduled, routine repairs. Ideally, preventative maintenance (including oil changes, brake checks, tire rotations, and other routine services) should make up 80% of your work orders, and unplanned repairs should make up the other 20%.

Listen: Preventative Maintenance vs. Corrective Maintenance

Use Fleet Management Software

An FMIS can help you keep your fleet maintenance program and your vehicles organized. It can allow you to track your vehicle maintenance schedules, track expenses, monitor fuel consumption, get real-time data on your vehicles, and more. Having this information housed in one location will let you look for trends and help you make informed decisions. 

 

Keep Track of Parts Inventory

You need to know what parts you have on hand so your technicians can efficiently make repairs and complete work orders. An FMIS can help you quickly take parts inventory and track what’s in stock and what needs to be re-ordered before you’re completely out. Using Purchase Order tools in a fleet management software system can also help make the parts purchasing process easier.  

 

Train Your Drivers

Making sure your drivers are properly trained – and undergo frequent, updated training – can reduce needed repairs on your fleet vehicles. Bad driving behaviors like sudden braking and aggressive accelerating can lead to wear and tear on your government fleet vehicles. 

 

Keep Fleet Maintenance Records

Keeping detailed records of all maintenance work performed on your fleet vehicles can help you look for repair trends with the vehicle (and even the make and model). It can also help you determine the Total Cost of Ownership of having the assets in your fleet. 

 

Clean Your Vehicles

Keeping your vehicles clean can help prevent rust and corrosion from developing – shortening the lifespan of your assets. Washing them frequently can also identify other problems early before they become bigger.

 

Check the Tire Pressure

Keeping your vehicles’ tire pressure at the right level is critical for the assets’ performance and safety. Checking the tire pressure regularly and adjusting it as needed can not only reduce wear and tear on your tires but also help avoid accidents and reduce your fuel consumption.

 

 

Plan for Emergencies

It’s essential to have an emergency response plan for your government fleet operation. This can include what to do in the event of a breakdown or accident, as well as what to do if there is a major storm, flooding, fire, or other issues that may impact your fleet. You need the plan to address how many employees to call in, how to fuel your vehicles, how to keep them maintained, and how to keep them running, during a crisis. 

 

Use GPS Tracking

Using GPS tracking or telematics on your fleet does more than just track their location (although that can also be helpful). It can also help you identify maintenance issues and even alert your shop so they can prepare for the repairs and determine when the vehicle needs to be brought in. 

 

Evaluate Your Fleet

Periodically, you should evaluate the performance of your fleet and your vehicles. This can include determining if you’re meeting your maintenance goals, as well as if you have the right types of vehicles in your fleet, or if you need to replace certain assets based on TCO or needs. Top of Form

 

To learn how RTA’s fleet management software can help with the maintenance needs of your government fleet, schedule a free demo today!

Subscribe to Blog
Popular Posts

Related Articles


Missed the NAFA Conference? Here is a Recap From RTA 
Missed the NAFA Conference? Here is a Recap From RTA 

If you weren’t able to attend this year’s NAFA Fleet Management Association Institute and Expo in San Antonio, Texas, here’s […]

Read More
9 Tips to Get the Most Out of Your FMIS
9 Tips to Get the Most Out of Your FMIS

Your fleet management information system (FMIS) is arguably the most important software your fleet has. And chances are, you’re nowhere […]

Read More